Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Miscellanea

If you're trying to physically locate me over the next two weeks, try room #3 in Ziskind building of the Weizmann Institute, in Rehovot, Israel -- where I'm being very kindly hosted by Gideon Schechtman. Blogging will be light due to the tight schedule (giving 3 talks: Jeruslem, Weizmann, Technion), but I'll try to report on interesting seminars that I heard (like the one today).

A quick note about the comments: they're unmoderated and no registration is required; I'm hoping that no moderation on my part will ever be necessary. It's fine occasionally to lapse into politics, but I was hoping to see more math discussions!.. Finally -- I am plain curious as to who's reading this barely-a-week-old blog and leaving comments. If you'd leave a name when commenting I'd be much obliged!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
interesting looking blog if somewhat beyond me technically (Engineers tend to get stuck at the "basic tools" stage of mathematics).
I shall take immediate advantage of your "occasional lapse into politics" rule to ask you to consider taking a look at this site http://www.bricup.org.uk/
and perhaps consider taking some in-action?
Thanks

Steve Jennings

Aryeh said...

Steve,

I appreciate your candor -- you must realize you're posting on a blog whose politics will most likely be diametrically opposed to your own. This is a very intensely emotional issue for me, and I will abstain from commenting on it so as to stay true to the main mission of this blog: mathematical research. There is an over-abundance of high-quality political commentary out there, and I really have nothing to add on top of what's already being said at some of the excellent sources I have linked in the news & commentary section.

I am quite familiar with your side of the argument; I read counterpunch.com almost daily. May I suggest you take an honest look at some of the blogs I have linked? Again, this blog isn't really the right place to hold a discussion of this nature, but feel free to comment if any posts here or elsewhere in the "neocon"-oriented blogosphere strike a particular chord.

Anonymous said...

indeed, wrong forum.
I checked out your links (with no obvious psychological damage!).

Here's one for you, a link to a book which you may already have read, but if not try it out, it has good reviews from both sodes of the argument.

http://www.amazon.com/One-State-Solution-Breakthrough-Israeli-Palestinian-Deadlock/dp/0472115138/sr=8-1/qid=1168029573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-9726673-6618818?ie=UTF8&s=books

all the best

Steve

Anonymous said...

Ooops, that didn't work. Try again...

http://www.amazon.com
/One-State-Solution-Breakthrough-
Israeli-Palestinian-Deadlock/dp/
0472115138/sr=8-1/qid=1168029573
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1
/105-9726673-6618818?ie=UTF8&s=books

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll see you on Tuesday.

DAHbKA.